It’s Never Too Late to Try Horseback Riding!
Horseback riding is a great sport and definitely worth trying at least once in your life. It tends to be a sport that everyone loves, both children and adults. You might think that horseback riding is for girls, but the truth is that in professional events there are more boys than girls. Equestrian is also the only sport where men and women compete against each other.
A lot of people think that you must have your own horse to ride it, but that´s not true. There are multiple farms that offer horseback riding lessons and let you use their horses. This also makes it a lot safer because the trainers are familiar with the horses and can help you find the perfect horse for you.
Here are 6 reasons why horseback riding is
the sport you have been looking for
1. If you love animals then this is your sport.
A big part of horseback riding is taking care of the horse, cleaning, feeding, and bonding with it. It´s a great way to spend some time with animals and learn to know them better.
2. Some people may think that it´s not a particularly challenging sport, but they are completely wrong. In horseback riding, riders can develop better reflexes and a sense of balance and coordination as they use their entire body to guide and propel the horseforward. Riding also offers cardio benefits. And, after your ﬁrst ride, you may feel muscles that you never knew you had!
3. Horse riding is also excellent for losing weight – not only will you burn a lot of calories, but it will take far less effort than for instance running or swimming. Riding a horse for 45 minutes at a walk, trot and canter can burn up to 200 calories. If you do something a bit more strenuous such as cutting or reining, that can burn up to 7 calories per minute.
4. Another advantage is that it teaches responsibility to those who ride and even more to those who take care of horses. In addition, horseback riding teaches patience, discipline, understanding, empathy, compassion, self-control, and dedication. That is why it´s also a great sport for young children.
5. Horseback riding is also a great activity to help exercise your mind. Controlling a large animal challenges you to pay close attention to your actions. Horses rely on their riders to make decisions and practice good judgement. Riding a horse improves ﬂexibility in thinking, judgement, critical thinking skills, sequencing, planning skills, attention, and concentration.
6. It´s a good stress relief. Exploring woods and hills on horseback is as relaxing as it gets. You can breathe the fresh countryside air and feel as one with your horse as you travel through paths you could not get to by car or bicycle. Listening to the array of birds singing, noticing the butterflies and lizards crossing over the paths. Even if you don´t have the possibility to ride in the countryside, spending time with a horse in a stable is just as relaxing.
You need to try it to find out if horseback riding is something for you! You’ll probably feel a little intimidated, but hopefully you’ll also have fun. It’s great to step out of your comfort zone every now and then and who knows – maybe it will be the start of a lifelong love.